Today i’m pleased to announce we have quite a number of exciting changes coming that we would like to let everyone know about. Starting today I will putting together a weekly status update every Friday to help keep all of you up to date on what is new in PC-BSD land. This weekly digest will be a quick highlight of what important features have been added, what major bugs have been fixed, and what is presently going on in general with the project.
We are also shifting gears on how we find and report bugs to the developers. To better facilitate the resolution of trouble tickets in PC-BSD we have consolidated the bug forums into one general bug reporting forum. We are asking PC-BSD users to use the trac system for reporting bugs (trac.pcbsd.org), and use the bug reporting forums if for some reason you don’t have access to trac or you aren’t sure if something is a bug.
Heres the highlights for this week, October the 11th 2013:
- Early images of PC-BSD 10.0 are in development and are currently being rolled and are in early testing.
- The new PC-BSD Disk Manager utility has been finished and committed to git. Special thanks to author and developer Claudio for this awesome new utility!
- Life Preserver utility has been updated with new features and stability improvements
- Bug reporting forums have been consolidated
- Weekly PC-BSD Feature Digest
- We have resolved a bug preventing users from upgrading properly via the update utility GUI.
A new PC-BSD forum has been created: pkgng Discussion. If you have problems installing software using pkgng or running an application installed using pkgng, post the details there so that the developers can fix the issue.
Earlier today, Karl Fischer mentioned that Tapatalk might be a useful forum feature. As described on its website, Tapatalk “is a forum app on the iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, and Nokia. Our app provides you super fast forum access to any vBulletin, IPBoard, phpBB or SMF forum that has activated our Tapatalk plugin”.
The forum system administrator added the plugin and has tested that it works for the iPhone and Karl is able to access the forums from Android. Please leave a comment if you have trouble accessing the PC-BSD forums from your phone and we’ll look into it. Otherwise, enjoy!