Two PC-BSD articles appear in the November issue of BSD Magazine, which is now available for free download.
On pages 6–8, Mark VonFange discusses some of the new features in the upcoming release of PC-BSD 9.0.
On pages 12–13, Kris Moore demonstrates how to create your own PBI repository on a FreeBSD system.
One of the most requested features in the upcoming PC-BSD 9 series, is the ability to easily install to BootCamp partition, allowing dual-booting with OSX. We are pleased to announce that the initial support for this will be available soon in the 9.0-RC1 release.We are looking forward to feedback from Mac users to ensure this works smoothly for everybody in 9.0-Final.
For details on BootCamp installation, please take a look at the wiki page below.
Special thanks to Marcel Moolenaar for the GPT / gpart improvements which enabled this functionality!
The July issue of BSD Magazine has an article introducing the PC-BSD 9.0 Control Panel on pages 12–15. It also provides instructions for building the Control Panel on FreeBSD or PC-BSD 8.2. The ability to add the administrative tools of any window manager regardless of the window manager you are currently logged into is pretty slick. You can also read just this article on slideshare.
9 Snapshot Includes Control Panel and MythTV Improvements">Latest 9 Snapshot Includes Control Panel and MythTV Improvements
Kris has just announced that the next testing snapshot is available. Some of the changes will be of interest to MythTV and multiple window manager users:
The next snapshot for PC-BSD 9-CURRENT is now available for download.
Snapshot instructions and general information on providing testing feedback are available here.
This snapshot includes the following changes:
- Update to Control-panel allows it to detect the current window manager and display the configuration tools provided by that desktop environment. Included is a CLI de-info script to get current desktop as well as a list of all installed desktop environments. Thanks to Yuri Momotiuk for this cool feature.
- Added several new MythTV plugins and related ports as well as an icon for MythTV initial setup. We’re looking for MythTV users to test these changes and help with documenting MythTV usage in the Handbook.
- Fixed some typos in pbi-manager man pages.
- Corrected some incorrect wallpaper re-sizing on the installer.
- Updated nvidia driver to 270.41.06 which adds support for several GPUs.
- Fixed nvidia driver not loading kernel module at boot.
- Allow user mounting of mmcsd(4) MMC and SD memory cards.
- Added uhidd (USB human interface devices) to the base-system.
- Fixes to the network manager for setting up IPv6 gateway / DNS.
- Fixed bugs in the System Manager checking out ports / system source.
- Added patch for pc-sysinstall which improves wiping backup GPT partition tables.
- Fixed issue with optional components, source / ports not being installed from DVD
- Updated the default beastie.4th boot-splash menu to boot quicker, and more easily halt the countdown
Kris’ formal paper on the new PBI 9 format is available as a PDF download. In it he describes the historical reasons for the legacy format as well as the design behind the new format. He also provides a brief overview of the new suite of PBI command line tools.
Google has announced their mentoring organizations for GSoC 2011. Unfortunately we didn’t make the cut this year, though 417 organizations were vying for 175 slots. Maybe next year
If you are a student and are interested in a BSD summer of code project, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and DragonFly BSD are participating in GSoC 2011. Click each link to see that Project’s ideas page.
You’re still welcome to visit our ideas page and to contribute.