9 Snapshot Includes Control Panel and MythTV Improvements">Latest 9 Snapshot Includes Control Panel and MythTV Improvements
Kris has just announced that the next testing snapshot is available. Some of the changes will be of interest to MythTV and multiple window manager users:
The next snapshot for PC-BSD 9-CURRENT is now available for download.
Snapshot instructions and general information on providing testing feedback are available here.
This snapshot includes the following changes:
- Update to Control-panel allows it to detect the current window manager and display the configuration tools provided by that desktop environment. Included is a CLI de-info script to get current desktop as well as a list of all installed desktop environments. Thanks to Yuri Momotiuk for this cool feature.
- Added several new MythTV plugins and related ports as well as an icon for MythTV initial setup. We’re looking for MythTV users to test these changes and help with documenting MythTV usage in the Handbook.
- Fixed some typos in pbi-manager man pages.
- Corrected some incorrect wallpaper re-sizing on the installer.
- Updated nvidia driver to 270.41.06 which adds support for several GPUs.
- Fixed nvidia driver not loading kernel module at boot.
- Allow user mounting of mmcsd(4) MMC and SD memory cards.
- Added uhidd (USB human interface devices) to the base-system.
- Fixes to the network manager for setting up IPv6 gateway / DNS.
- Fixed bugs in the System Manager checking out ports / system source.
- Added patch for pc-sysinstall which improves wiping backup GPT partition tables.
- Fixed issue with optional components, source / ports not being installed from DVD
- Updated the default beastie.4th boot-splash menu to boot quicker, and more easily halt the countdown
Kris has announced that the next testing snapshot is available:
The next PC-BSD 9-CURRENT 20110425 snapshot is now available for download.
- Fixed issue launching the handbook icon
- Fixes for using GELI with a passphrase and not key files
- Fixed running the installer via the LIVE DVD / USB images
- Numerous fixes to window-managers, stray icons, missing configurations, etc
- Started adding theme data, such as wallpapers, icons and related configuration
- Still working on some bugs related to loading / using the nvidia binary drivers
- The installer wallpaper may show up with incorrect re-sizing
For answers to common questions, including how to provide feedback, please refer to the snapshot page on the wiki.
The FreeBSD VirtualBox porters team is looking for testers for the latest version of VirtualBox.
FreeBSD users can download a tarball of the 7.4 and 8.2 32-bit and 64-bit ports.
Details about the changes in this version and the checksums for the FreeBSD ports can be found in the initial announcement. If you test the port or PBI, please post your feedback on either the freebsd-emulation list or the pbi-dev list.
Jesse Smith has uploaded a new version of Make-A-PBI. This version, 1.0, has some important improvements. Make-A-PBI can now attempt to make a PBI module without building/installing the associated port. This means that Make-A-PBI can run in seconds, rather than over several minutes/hours, and the program no longer needs to be run as root.
The building/installing options are still available for people who want to make sure their modules will build properly, but for making quick-n-dirty modules, run this command:
pbimaker –8 –s /usr/ports/category/portname
Which will make a PBI (version 8) port. You can make version 9 modules with this command:
pbimaker –9 –s /usr/ports/cateogry/portname
Often port icons are hard to find due to naming conventions; you can force the program to use a specific icon name with:
pbimaker –8 –s –b /path/to/default/icon /usr/ports/category/portname
The next PC-BSD 9 snapshot is now available for both amd64 and i386.
Kris has created a new Wiki page with details about the snapshots. Please take a look at it before installing any snapshots:
Changes in this snapshot:
- KDE 4.6.2
- Updated the port for gksu and fixed bugs running apps as root
- Many improvements to AppCafe
- Installing PBIs as user now adds binaries to PATH
- Many bug fixes to menu icons / LXDE / KDE4 / Gnome that were reported by testers of the last snapshot
- Using GELI with a password doesn’t create additional key files now
- Installer hides “FreeBSD” option when it isn’t available on the current media
- The handbook desktop link doesn’t work. This is fixed in SVN and will be in the next snapshot.
Please send any bug reports to the testing mailing list.
A new 9-CURRENT snapshot is now available from our ftp site for both 32 and 64 bit systems.
Included in this snapshot:
- KDE 4.6.1
- Fixes for installing across multiple drives with gmirror
- Improvements to the networking GUI, able to run without prompting for root passwords
- Fixes to the AppCafe, improvements for installing apps as a user account
- Bugfixes to the pbi_* commands
- There is still a bug with using disk-encryption from the installer which will be fixed soon.
Testing snapshots are ALPHA quality software, meaning that you should test them on a test system or virtual environment. Expect issues and bugs and please report any issues back to the testing mailing list.