The PC-BSD team is pleased to announce the availability of the next PC-BSD quarterly update, version 10.0.2!
This update includes a number of important bug fixes as well as newer packages and desktops, such as KDE 4.12.5, Cinnamon 2.2.13, Gnome 3.12.2, and more. This release also includes an alpha release of the new Lumina desktop which is being developed on PC-BSD. For more details and updating instructions, refer to the notes below.
- KDE 4.12.5
- Cinnamon 2.2.13
- Gnome 3.12.2
- Alpha release of Lumina desktop
- Revamped AppCafe and PBI subsystems, integrated fully with FreeBSD’s PKGNG
- AppCafe support for application screenshots, 5-Star rating system and comments integrated with our Wiki
- Unified various UI elements and keyboard shortcuts
- Integrated package cleanup functionality into AppCafe / PBI system
- Updated Control Panel UI with additional view options and asynchronous item reading
- Improved UI notification between applications and tray notification systems
- Added PulseAudio as default audio backend for all packages which can support it
- Added full-disk encryption options with GELI, which does *not* require a separate un-encrypted /boot partition
- Support for automatic boot-environment creation before doing any upgrades or updates to the system or packages
- Boot-environment support for full-disk encrypted installations
- Added support for adding snapshot “Comments”
- Options to set L2Arc / ZIL devices during installation
- Many other bugfixes and improvements to Life-Preserver, Warden and more
A more detailed list of changes can be found in What’s New in 10.0.2.
Desktop users already running 10.0 can update via Control Panel -> Package Manager -> Updates. Server users can update via the “pc-updatemanager” command-line utility.
If package updating fails due to conflict errors, please be sure to apply all system updates first before trying again.
After updating and rebooting, please run the AppCafe once to begin the conversion process from the old style PBIs to 10.0.2 packages.
10.0.2 DVD/USB media can be downloaded from here.
Found a bug in 10.0.2? Please report it (in as much detail as possible) to our Trac Database.
SouthEast LinuxFest will take place June 20–22 at the Sheraton Charlotte Airport in Charlotte, NC. Registration for this event is free.
There will be a BSD booth in the expo area on both Friday and Saturday from 9:00–17:00. As usual, we’ll be giving out a bunch of cool swag, PC-BSD DVDs, and FreeNAS CDs, as well as accepting donations for the FreeBSD Foundation. Ken Moore will present “PBI v10: Application Management Made Easy” at 13:30 on Friday and Dru Lavigne will present “ZFS 101″ at 13:30 on Saturday. The BSDA certification exam will also be held at 11:00 On Sunday.
PC-BSD 10.0.2-RC2 images are now online for testing from our download site.
This will (hopefully) be our last RC before releasing 10.0.2 officially sometime on or around the 23rd. We have addressed or fixed most tickets related to the 10.0.2 release, so if you are still running into any issues, please report them using our Trac database.
Users running EDGE or earlier 10.0.2 images can upgrade their packages to the RC2 versions via AppCafe or Package Manager.
Thanks for all your help testing, and the issues reported so far!
There will be a BSD booth at Texas LinuxFest to be held June 13 and 14 at the Austin Convention Center in downtown Austin, Texas. Several members of the PC-BSD team will be at the booth and will be giving out cool swag, PC-BSD DVDs, FreeNAS CDs, and accepting donations for the FreeBSD Foundation. Registration for this event is $30 or $60 and the expo area is open on Friday from 12:00–18:00 and on Saturday from 10:00 to 18:00.
The BSDA certification exam will also be available on Friday at 10:00. The cost of the exam is $75.
The next 10.0.2-PRERELEASE ISO is now available for testing and can be downloaded from
If you have a spare system or virtual machine, consider testing this image. If you find any bugs, report them at https://trac.pcbsd.org so we can take a look at fixing them before 10.0.2 is released later this month.
NOTE: if you plan to use AppCafe in this image, go to Configure -> Repository Settings and change it to “Edge”. Do this before attempting to upgrade within AppCafe; otherwise, if you reboot or logout, you will not be able to successfully log back in again.
Hey PC-BSDers! This week we’ve been gearing up for the next release of PC-BSD version 10.0.2. In preparation for the next release we have been fine tuning some of the new features and making sure the loose ends are tied up. We were also able to close out a good amount of trac tickets this week and commit the fixes for 10.0.2.
In other news / updates this week:
- Fix a bug where the orphan package filter was also filtering out some base apps.
- Randomize the browser home page so that it only show 10 random “recommended” and “highlighted” applications.
- Add a ton more recommended/highlighted applications to the repo file.
- Fix some minor display bugs
- Add menu option to view the recent vulnerability information for ports through freshports.
- Fix the sizing information for installed meta-pkgs (will show the combined sizes of the direct dependencies instead)
- Fix the sizing information for available applications (will now show the combined size of all the packages that need to be downloaded/installed for that app)
- Add the ability to fetch/read the pkg-plist for a given pkg.
- Add a “bulk” module creation side to EasyPBI which allows for creating PBI modules for an entire FreeBSD category at a time (with all sorts of filters and options)
- Make EasyPBI automatically create up to 5 desktop/menu entries for graphical applications.
- Make the application binaries detected/usable within the module editor for creating new desktop/menu entries.
- Quick fix for filenames that have spaces in them
- Quick fix for making sure that when launching an app it is in the same general system environment. This allows apps like firefox/thunderbird to see other instances of themselves and act appropriately.
- lumina-config - Make sure the menu options actually work
Miscellaneous Fixes / improvements
- Fixed several warden bugs relating to new jail creation / package management
- Imported the latest ports and Gnome3 / Cinnamon for 10.0.2
- Fixed some issues prompting for GELI password from GRUB and then mountroot
- Fixed a critical bug with new CUPS 1.7.0 breaking foomatic-rip and associated print drivers
- Imported the latest PEFS code into 11-CURRENT and backported it to our 10-STABLE branches
- Fixed bugs with system update tray notifier not showing freebsd-update” notifications
- Migrated one of my build systems to 11-CURRENT and got it setup for doing PKG/ISO builds
- Misc other trac tickets fixed / closed in cleanup process
- Many other cosmetic / doc bugs fixes as Dru submitted them
- Started investigating bug with BE/GRUB failing if the first dataset is destroyed