The Kindle version of the PC-BSD 8.2 Handbook (and the upcoming Kindle version of the 9.0 Handbook) are participating in the Kindle Owner’s Lending Library. This program allows Kindle owners to borrow the book for free.
Nine new PC-BSD wallpapers ranging in size from 1024×768 to 2560×1600 are now available for download.
The third (and hopefully last) release candidate for the upcoming PC-BSD 9.0 is now available! This release includes the latest FreeBSD 9.0-RC3 base, along with numerous bug fixes and enhancements.
This is the first release available as both pre-built VirtualBox and VMware images. Each image includes the various guest tools pre-installed, ready for booting in the virtual environment of your choice.
This release also includes a new graphical boot-loader for fresh installations. Users performing an upgrade from RC2 -> RC3 can enable the new bootloader by placing the following lines in /boot/loader.conf:
# Enable the graphical boot-loader
Notable changes in this release (in no particular order):
- Fixed the default KDE wallpaper / desktop theme
- Add option to skip performing system upgrades at bootup, in case the user doesn’t have the time to wait.
- Fix bug starting the port jail from rc.d
- Make sure we clear any KDE cache during upgrade
- Fixed bugs installing some PBIs from AppCafe causing seg faults
- Load ext2fs automatically
- Default LXDE clock to AM/PM time
- Add default openbox wallpaper / menus
- Load the “iir” raid driver on install media
- Add extra meta-pkg for VMware guest support
- Reduce CPU usage while checking for system updates on the tray
- Add new graphical boot loader enabled by default
- Updated the handbook for 9.0
- Speed up the download process of system upgrades
- Add patch for GDM which corrects issues with auto-login
- Created new VirtualBox / VMware images for download
The system sources / ports tree don’t show up during the component selection, will be fixed for the final.
The firewall manager incorrectly reads the /etc/pf.conf file, will be fixed in the final.
The default QT theme doesn’t always match the rest of the desktops, will be fixed in the final.
There are a greater variety of ways to install PC-BSD in the 9.x series. When providing feedback please indicate which install media you are using and in which window manager the error occurs.
Several new FreeBSD wallpapers have been created and are available in the following resolutions:
Since the FreeBSD logo and name are registered trademarks of the FreeBSD Foundation, each wallpaper includes a subtle trademark symbol and has been approved by the Foundation.
You can download the wallpapers from this page of the PC-BSD website.
Several users have noted on the testing mailing list that KDE is inaccessible after upgrading from RC1 to RC2. It turns out that the KDE 4.6.x cache is incompatible with the newer 4.7.x cache. Fortunately, the fix is an easy one:
Log in using another window manager (Fluxbox will be available in the login screen even if your only installed window manager is KDE), become the superuser, and run the following command:
rm -rf /var/tmp/kdecache-*
You should now be able to login to KDE.
The configuration files also changed in this version of KDE so the PC-BSD desktop wallpaper and icons will be missing. This has been fixed for RC3.
There will be a BSD booth during LISA in Boston, next Wednesday and Thursday (December 7-8). We’ll be giving out PC-BSD 9.0 DVDs, cool swag, and answering BSD related questions. Entrance to the exhibition area is free, but you do need to register first. If you’re in Boston, stop by booth #408 and say hi!