Kris has just announced that the next testing snapshot is available. Some of the changes will be of interest to MythTV and multiple window manager users:
The next snapshot for PC-BSD 9-CURRENT is now available for download.
Snapshot instructions and general information on providing testing feedback are available here.
This snapshot includes the following changes:
- Update to Control-panel allows it to detect the current window manager and display the configuration tools provided by that desktop environment. Included is a CLI de-info script to get current desktop as well as a list of all installed desktop environments. Thanks to Yuri Momotiuk for this cool feature.
- Added several new MythTV plugins and related ports as well as an icon for MythTV initial setup. We’re looking for MythTV users to test these changes and help with documenting MythTV usage in the Handbook.
- Fixed some typos in pbi-manager man pages.
- Corrected some incorrect wallpaper re-sizing on the installer.
- Updated nvidia driver to 270.41.06 which adds support for several GPUs.
- Fixed nvidia driver not loading kernel module at boot.
- Allow user mounting of mmcsd(4) MMC and SD memory cards.
- Added uhidd (USB human interface devices) to the base-system.
- Fixes to the network manager for setting up IPv6 gateway / DNS.
- Fixed bugs in the System Manager checking out ports / system source.
- Added patch for pc-sysinstall which improves wiping backup GPT partition tables.
- Fixed issue with optional components, source / ports not being installed from DVD
- Updated the default beastie.4th boot-splash menu to boot quicker, and more easily halt the countdown
The following PBI is now available in Software Manager:
Jokosher: Jokosher is a simple yet powerful multi-track studio. With it you can create and record music, podcasts and more, all from an integrated simple environment.
Thanks to Jesse Smith for creating this PBI and to Blazing Teens for requesting it.
Yesterday Kris committed PBI Manager to the FreeBSD ports collection (/ports-mgmt/pbi-manager). This means that you don’t have to wait for PC-BSD 9.0 to be released to try out the new command line suite of PBI tools.
You can find some documentation on the various tools in this section of the PC-BSD 9.0 Handbook. Users are welcome to add to this section to help other users get the most out of PBI Manager.
NOTE: PBI files created for PC-BSD 7.x/8.x (i.e. those available from pbidir.com) will NOT work with PBI Manager as the PBI format has changed for 9.0. You can find the locations of 9 PBIs here.
The following PBIs are now available in Software Manager:
MuSE: MuSE is an application for the mixing, encoding, and network streaming of sound. MuSE can simultaneously mix up to 6 encoded audio bitstreams (from files or network) plus a sound card input signal. The resulting stream can be played locally on the sound card and/or encoded as an mp3 bitstream sent to a broadcast server. MuSE offers an intuitive interface to be operated realtime and can run in “slick” mode from command line.
LMMS: LMMS aims to be a free alternative to popular (but commercial and closed-source) programs like FruityLoops, Cubase and Logic giving you the ability of producing music with your computer by creating cool loops, synthesizing and mixing sounds, arranging samples, having more fun with your MIDI keyboard and much more. LMMS combines the features of a tracker/sequencer program (pattern/channel/ sample/song/effect management) and those of powerful synthesizers and samplers in a modern, user-friendly and easy to use graphical user interface.
Thanks to Jesse Smith for creating these PBIs and to Blazing Teens for requesting them.
The FreeBSD booth in the Expo area of LinuxFest NorthWest will be giving out PC-BSD DVDs and other cool swag. If you’re in Bellingham, WA this weekend, be sure to stop by booth number 401.
If you’ve been thinking about getting BSDA certified, the exam will also be available at this event on Sunday at 14:30. You can learn more about BSDA certification here.
Kris has announced that the next testing snapshot is available:
The next PC-BSD 9-CURRENT 20110425 snapshot is now available for download.
- Fixed issue launching the handbook icon
- Fixes for using GELI with a passphrase and not key files
- Fixed running the installer via the LIVE DVD / USB images
- Numerous fixes to window-managers, stray icons, missing configurations, etc
- Started adding theme data, such as wallpapers, icons and related configuration
- Still working on some bugs related to loading / using the nvidia binary drivers
- The installer wallpaper may show up with incorrect re-sizing
For answers to common questions, including how to provide feedback, please refer to the snapshot page on the wiki.