Nov

More information on PC-BSD’s new Role System

Just a short video to explain in a little more detail what our plan is for the role system. Make sure to check it out and subscribe if you haven’t already :).

Written by Josh Smith. Posted in 10.1, new features, presentations

• HansR
    November 19, 2014 at 6:29 pm |

Hi Guys,

awesome work you are doing. Thanks!
    I’m not sure if it is to specific, but I would suggest a “GIS” role. It would be great to have a Geographic information system (GIS) workstation by “default”.
    Programs included could be:
    – QGIS
    – GrassGIS
    – PostGIS (extender to PostgreSQL)
    – GeoSever
    – GeoWebCache

• Georgi
    November 19, 2014 at 7:03 pm |

Hmm, now I see.
    I will suggest Home Pack:
    Office Suite (LO)
    Program for video/audio (VLC, Banshee)
    Program for text editing (Geany for example)
    Program for graphic editing (GIMP)
    Dictionary
    ?

• AJ Burch
      November 25, 2014 at 5:06 am |

2 roles I am constantly building with PCBSD are ‘kids’ and ‘security’ roles. Having tools for security and pentesting in a group would be appreicated. Same with games/learning for kids.

• MrGrymReaper
    November 20, 2014 at 11:14 pm |

Hi Guys,

Awesome work which is being done on this spin off of FreeBSD.

I was wondering whether under the “Utilities” or “Games” role. A category for the different game genres and also one for emulators in general (e.g. fs-uae, pearpc etc).

• […] You can peek at what ‘roles’ are being put together for PC-BSD installs. ¬†Or just watch this video. […]

• November 22, 2014 at 7:31 am |

This role system reminds of Centos’ kickstart. One feature from kickstart that would be great if we could have is a config file that can be reused in future machines.

Example:
    I create a machine with selections from multiple roles.

At the end of the installation there could be a file role.cfg.

In the future I want to setup a machine with exactly the same programs I used in the previous machine so I get the role.cfg from the previous machine and load it into the new machine. All the application selections I had used in the previous machine will then be selected in this new machine.

• William R Blankley
    November 24, 2014 at 10:18 am |

thanks for the explanation Josh. now i know that the world is going to stay right-side -up.

having thought some more; there is a FORTRAN compiler from Intel that it would be good to have. they, Intel, require me to register so it might be quite a negotiation to have that with PC BSD.

as an aside, i wanted to use that compiler with Ubuntu Linux but my mind sort of blew a fuse when it got past the “click on the pretty picture” stage. simple for all of you out there….

both machines are Dell precision 470 with two 1st. generation Xeon processors 4gig RAM and a 120 gig SSD.
    i think the CPUs clock a tad over three Gigs per second.

• Sam
    January 2, 2015 at 4:20 pm |

Someone mentioned security. I would like to have encryption included specifically. zuluCrypt

Thanks.