Dec

Open Letter to the PC-BSD Community Regarding Upgrading to 10.1

We are aware of an issue where many of you have been experiencing some frustrating issues involving the update to PC-BSD 10.1. While we constantly strive for a stable easy going process with PC-BSD in use and in upgrading, sometimes issues appear that were not prevalent during our testing. We are working on a new upgrade patch that will hopefully solve the upgrade problem for some of you who have still not been able to successfully upgrade to 10.1. What we are planning on doing is incorporating just freebsd-update to handle this upgrade for the kernel and let the packages be installed seperately after the kernel has been upgraded.

We want to thank all of you for being avid PC-BSD supporters and want you to understand we are 100% dedicated to providing the BEST BSD based desktop operating system in the world. Going forward our goal is to provide an upgrade experience that is not only simple, but also has gone through much more rigorous testing by our dedicated community to ensure the quality everyone here is looking for.

Thanks!

-Josh

Written by Josh Smith. Posted in Uncategorized

December 2, 2014 at 1:05 pm |

Sounds great to me. 🙂

• Rick Hanson
    December 2, 2014 at 1:41 pm |

Josh, I’m one of those people who experienced problems with the update, and I was wondering (1) how pervasive it was and (2) if you all were even made aware of the problem. So, I really appreciate this message here (thank you), and I’m going to continue to work with PC-BSD. I think your plan to do a pre-rollout to a cadre of users is a good idea. Keep up the good work. Best, –Rick

• William R Blankley
    December 2, 2014 at 10:07 pm |

it all helps. i thought it was just me as i am just at the click on the pretty picture stage. i have no idea why i like it better than my ubuntu linux but the not quite current enough disk from bsd mall and the horror of three gig downloads is a little hard on my grey lack of hair.

thanks for the update message and all the work you do.
    william

• Matthias
    December 3, 2014 at 5:59 am |

“Going forward we have some ideas on how we can improve the updating process to give a better end user experience for PC-BSD. Just one idea we’ve been thinking about is giving ourselves a little more time before letting RELEASE updates become available to the public. During the extra time period we can ask some of our more advanced users to go ahead and install the “beta” updates and provide us with feedback if issues come up that we were not able to find during our initial testing of the update. This will also let us examine many more different types of system setups.”

Really, this is as a matter of course ?

Each Distri, which i know, does that.

Two of my proposals:

A beta iso makes it also more easy to test on different setups in live mode. I think its also an awesome idea, to release a nice list of tests and outputs, which are important for the team, so that less experienced PC-BSD users can help to test.

Greets, Matthias

• Miroslav
    December 3, 2014 at 5:51 pm |

I am long time FreeBSD user (since 4.2) and last 10 years FreeBSD servers are my daily job. I did so many “crazy” upgrades of OS, but trust me, I had never so bad experience with upgrade as with PC-BSD 10.0 to 10.1.
    I understand the approach “easiest upgrade for end users”, but this one was the hardest. The problem is, there are no visible information what will be done in what steps and what is going on right now. And after long waiting the system ended up unusable, so I must use zfs rollback to recovery my system.
    The next attempt of update from command line instead of GUI ended with base system updated to 10.1, but unable to show login screen. Then, in single user mode, I realized there are too many missing libraries for packages and for base tool too. (I do not understand how it can happend, I did not had this type of problem on our FreeBSD servers – never), so I must extracted full base.txz and “pkg install -f” for all 1400+ packages. Then my system become partly usable.
    Flash video on YouTube does not work at all, Flash video on other sites is working but without sound.
    Wine is not working even with clean ~/.wine initialization. (and I am unable to fix these problems)
    Some applications are completely missing and I must install them again from AppCafe (why?)

So at the end, I have feeling that even Windows Update have better “User Experience” than current PC-BSD update GUI. And this is not to criticise work of PC-BSD developers (I know it is hard work to do the perfect desktop OS), it is just my feeling from the end user point of view.
    (one “easy” GUI app with only “confirm” button is not good for such complex task as the full system (base + pkg) upgrade is. There should be more ‘options’ and more detailed informations to users. This apply for AppCafe instalations too)

If I was an average desktop user, this failed upgrade had been fatal disaster. Only my knowledge of ZFS and pkg from FreeBSD servers allowed me to recover the system to working state.

• Joe Maloney
    December 3, 2014 at 10:00 pm |

Awesome. This will be great for the project.

• Joe Maloney
    December 5, 2014 at 5:46 pm |

I’ve been turning off flash, and using html5 for youtube. I’m much happier without it. I miss hulu support but then again that’s what my TV is for. 🙂

• […] A few weeks ago a PC-BSD plan expelled chronicle 10.1 of a FreeBSD-based handling system. While it was approaching that existent users would be means to ascent uniformly from PC-BSD 10.0 to 10.1, some village members reported problems with a project’s ascent process. The PC-BSD group has concurred a problem and is working on a fix. […]

• Alpha1
    December 27, 2014 at 3:10 am |

I tried PC-BSD for the first time. I installed 10.1 from the downloaded DVD iso. It all went smoothly and worked well until I installed the update suggested. When I rebooted, my network connection no longer worked, and I could not find a way to get it to do so.

• Leonardo Contiero
    January 30, 2015 at 4:54 pm |

This sounds good! After walking arround on some other Linux flavours like Debian and Suse I was still unhappy: “I want bsd, so I will use it”.
    I am new on BSD world and after the update I thought that windows’ 8 curse was on me again!
    I was thinking about in reinstalling it, but I restore the system to the original environment, after the first update and the world got back smiling to me!