Dec

Upgrade to PC-BSD 10.1 is Now Live!

Hey everyone!

Kris has made the update to 10.1 live on the servers. To upgrade to 10.1 you can simply open the update GUI and start the update from there. You will notice the update takes a little longer to complete, but the good news is it runs in the background and there are no unexpected resets :).

If you are on the EDGE repo you most likely have the newest broken version of pkg which will need to be fixed before upgrading. To fix pkg:

% pkg install -f pkg

After that you should be in business. Please send us your feedback and / or any questions!

Written by Josh Smith. Posted in 10.0, 10.1, new features, pkgng, testers

• ibb27
    December 19, 2014 at 10:09 am |

EDGE repo, can’t start Network Manager from Control Panel or from wifi tray.
    When I try to start it from root term window:
    # pc-netmanager
    QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display
    Abort
    #

• dpa078
    December 20, 2014 at 2:09 am |

Hi, after 10.1 upgrade from 10.0, KDE does not start… how to resolve this?

• […] The (new) PC-BSD upgrade to 10.1 is available. […]

• David
    December 20, 2014 at 2:28 pm |

Everything went well. Updated finally ok!, although it did take a very very long time.

Now the update manager has disapeared from the kde panel…

Thanks.

• Suvro
    December 23, 2014 at 4:49 pm |

Does this take care of the UEFI as well, or does that still require a back-up and fresh install from the start?

• Hiroshi
    December 28, 2014 at 4:40 pm |

10.1 does not work ibus again. And after install this update, ibus still crash!

Do you no longer support ibus or asian language input ?

• January 11, 2015 at 8:04 am |

Hiroshi, can you check if there is a current bug for this at bugs.pcbsd.org and create one if there is not? Paste the bug # here so other users can follow its progress.

• Hiroshi
        January 13, 2015 at 4:35 pm |

Thanks your comment.
        BUT I format hard disk and install FreeBSD + xfce.

I could not use PC-BSD for real life !
        So I may not have any chance to use PC-BSD any more.
        Thanks a lot !

• December 31, 2014 at 12:44 pm |

Dear PC-BSD folks,

I’ve been using PC-BSD as a primary OS on both desktop and laptop for some years. Indeed, a frequently used desktop is based upon PC-BSD running 8.1 of FreeBSD. Never a fan of KDE, I was finally able to migrate back to Gnome 3 on recent revisions of PC-BSD, and I’ve generally been VERY happy.

The one problem I have consistently had, however is the system update/upgrade utilities, both the command line and the gui tools. They have consistently broken releases, and now with the latest release of an update tool, I am somewhat hesitant to try it, based upon my history of breaking systems, and having to resort to a full restore from .ISO image.

Recent version have a package update throwing me out of Gnome 3 and reverting my desktop background to my Gnome 2 version. Indeed, package upgrades also blank my screen and throw me out .. and at least once has crashed my system.

Personally, I would appreciate that all the feature revisions, while nice, seem to draw resources away from the fundamentals, ie: system update tools.
    I have directed people towards Linux instead of BSD specifically because of this problem, even though I’ve been a hard core BSD user since 1992.