Apr

Huge Announcement for PC-BSD

Hey PC-BSDers!

Some of you may have heard the speculation surrounding the last couple weeks of development here at the PC-BSD project, and I’d like to go ahead and address those rumors in today’s post.  We know there has been a large amount of misinformation circulating so we recommend that all of our users please read the following explanation so the information is clear.

For the last couple of months we have been beating our heads against the wall trying to find a way to put us on par with the best Linux distros out there such as Ubuntu.  During a phone meeting on Monday between Kris, Dru, Ken and myself (Josh), we began tossing around ideas on how we can make that happen.  One of the ideas that was presented was making Lumina DE the only supported desktop environment in PC-BSD and by doing so focus all of our development time exclusively on it.  Ken Moore argued that if we could create a desktop environment that everyone loved, and “Unify” the user experience, that no one would have any reason ever to use anything else because it was the best.  Although we did toss the idea around for a while we thought that might be a little bit of an issue with a few of our users that like to use other crappy desktop environments.

After an hour of spirited back and forth debate, many good ideas were presented.  As we all took a moment during our video call to think about the ideas that were just discussed, I interrupted the awkward silence and told the rest of the group about an idea I had been thinking about for a few days.  “What if we could do something even better than Unify the user experience…What if we could make the system boot extremely fast”. I explained that if we could hard code a “boot shim” so to speak into the kernel, that we could be the fastest booting unix-like distribution out there.  We all looked at each other and started to realize this was the “holy grail” so to speak that we had been looking for.  After perusing the internet for about 3 and a half minutes we found out there was already a Linux solution available.

We hammered out the details and now want to present you with our new “Everything Manager” the new SystemBS-D.  Most of you are familiar with how we can port different types of Linux software and run them through our emulation layer.  Using the same emulation magic we have taken what one kid that lives on my street called “the best piece of software ever. The end.”, and ported it over to PC-BSD.  SystemBS-D not only makes your system boot faster, but it can basically manage everything on your system as well.  Sure it still crashes a lot and it has trouble displaying log files, but we’re working on that.  In a discussion with Kris Moore he stated “SystemBS-D may be unstable, but it DID make the system boot super fast.  I feel like that’s a pretty good trade.”

Taking cues from other popular software companies we have also thought about integrating a really cool storefront into PC-BSD and making people look at it before they can go to their desktop.  We could also consider locking down the user’s system with “grub-lock” so no other operating systems could be installed on it… oops I meant “secure” the user’s system.

We look forward to hearing your feedback on these new developments.

P.S. if you thought any of this was real look at the date on your computer.  Happy 1st!

Best Regards,

Josh

Written by Josh Smith. Posted in misc, new features

• Mingo
    April 1, 2015 at 6:56 am |

Loved it !!! Great name: SystemBS-D … ROFL !!

• C. Wizard
    April 1, 2015 at 7:31 am |

I was just about to wipe PC-BSD off my hard drive when I realized it was April 1st.
    Good one!

April 1, 2015 at 7:44 am |

Lmao! 🙂

• CoolHand
    April 1, 2015 at 7:44 am |

I was already keenly aware of the date, so wasn’t fooled. I did however, enjoy reading it.. Thanks!

• Ed
    April 1, 2015 at 7:47 am |

You had me fooled with the SystemBS-D. I was horrified when you said that crashes were okay because of the better boot time.
    I finally got a clue when you talked about grub-lock. The part about forcing users to look at a store front was hilarious.

• Rick Hanson
    April 1, 2015 at 8:11 am |

Good one (even if you ruined it a bit by adding the P.S. line). 😛

• me
    April 1, 2015 at 8:18 am |

well done

• Ragansi
    April 1, 2015 at 8:44 am |

Keenly aware today is April 1st, and on the look out for pranks left and right. This one got me hook, line and sinker. I don’t think I’ve been crushed this hard by an announcement in a long time.

I didn’t even get as far as the P.S. line. I was jumping for the comment section when it dawned on me this was a prank.

Hats off to ya for this one. Well played prank my friend.

P.S. I’ve stopped downloading Gentoo as a replacement for all 5 of my PC-BSD systems…

• Rob
    April 1, 2015 at 9:10 am |

LOL!

• The Turkey
    April 1, 2015 at 9:19 am |

Good Geek Joke…

• April 1, 2015 at 9:47 am |

For causing me to waste my time readig this stuff, I think I can sue you, Josh.

• Yuvaraj Thiagarajan
    April 1, 2015 at 12:00 pm |

“One of the ideas that was presented was making Lumina DE the only supported desktop environment in PC-BSD and by doing so focus all of our development time exclusively on it.”

Actually, I like this idea that the core PCBSD team focusses only on Lumina DE so that they can spend the gained time in developing more innovative and useful features for PCBSD that competes or beats Linux such as PersonaCrypt.

PCBSD can still indirectly support other desktop environments through Community contributed support.

• […] PC-BSD принял решение для обеспечения дополнительной защиты пользователей […]

• Darren Breidigan
    April 1, 2015 at 5:35 pm |

It is a joke, right?

The only thing left is Mac 🙁

• william
    April 1, 2015 at 7:25 pm |

both optical drives and the dongle for that one!
    saddest thing here though is that all the radio-hardware-antenna action is on widows seven here. the internet machine took a “hit” via firefox and so i changed over my internet tool. ubuntu 14-10 lasted all of ten minutes before i was got again. i am still here but….
    so, you are not as tight as you might think.
    in “the Linux Vice” (sorry, Voice) mag this month there is an item on the pie and how they are combing out the tangles in the code by hand to make it faster.
    many a true word is spoken in jest.
    William

• Nyakov
    April 2, 2015 at 8:44 am |

– “One of the ideas that was presented was making Lumina DE the only supported desktop environment in PC-BSD and by doing so focus all of our development time exclusively on it. Ken Moore argued that if we could create a desktop environment that everyone loved, and “Unify” the user experience, that no one would have any reason ever to use anything else because it was the best.”

This is sensible idea trough.
    Desktop environment must be good, and unified.
    That is why Lumina project gets so much support.

And you should have user testing groups to understand user experience, and make it better.

• April 5, 2015 at 11:53 am |

I read it, tried to understand, read it again and came to the section: ‘In a discussion with Kris Moore he stated “SystemBS-D may be unstable, but it DID make the system boot super fast. I feel like that’s a pretty good trade.”’

What the…! I don’t give 0,2 for fast boot, I prefer a stable user friendly system and I don’t care if it take a few seconds more to boot up. You know Windows 8 boots quite fast, but you get what you pay for… NOT!

Then I came to the comments… O no! You got me there and I missed the PS! 😀

• börndi
    April 10, 2015 at 4:58 am |

Hi, that was funny, I guess.
    Please excuse my poor knowledge about init systems.
    To understand the joke about SystemBS-D better, could someone please explain to me what is so bad about launchd, systemd, or SMF? My girlfriend runs Fedora from version 17 on to version 20 and had never problems with the boot up or any other stability problems (she at least once a day starts her laptop), I run for years now Mac OS X which runs stable as hell. Could someone please give me a reference what is so wrong about these things, especially when one hears experts as hubbard on these things, and he is not braindead. He worked for apple and was a leading figure there.

• John Hunter
    April 14, 2015 at 1:20 am |

I am a newbie at this. I don’t know any code yet. I have Ubuntu 14.04 on my computer at the moment. I have ordered PC-BSD on a USB stick. For some reason I have wanted to try BSD. Now I have the chance. Of course, I will continue to study code. I just wanted to throw my hat in. Thanks.

• James Davis
    April 15, 2015 at 4:29 pm |

Would you all please changes that #$%^ name:joule

I mean come on, start here

• Dirk Schmidt
    May 17, 2015 at 10:29 pm |

Hello.

On one of my computers pcbsd thinks it is EOL.
    Date May 1st.
    Is there any way to fix it?
    Or do I have to reinstall?

Thanks.

• Dirk Schmidt
    May 17, 2015 at 11:02 pm |

Oh sorry.
    It says EOL June 1st.
    Thanks.

• July 21, 2015 at 9:35 am |

SystemBS-D? Maybe a good idea, but take note that recently UBUNTU 15.04 packaged SystemD to improve booting, and it now takes longer to boot. UGH.

And if you want to improve the user experience, make it easier to create a Live-boot USB PCBSD stick in the standard FAT-format. Remember that people going to PCBSD are mostly Windows users who already have experience installing and booting UBUNTU, Fedora, etc, ALL of which utilize the FAT-formatted USB stick for a live boot device.