Dec

PC-BSD: Much Faster Than “Linux”

Larry Cafiero over at fossforce.com has recently switched over from Linux to PC-BSD/FreeBSD, and has been writing articles about the switch. Today, he published an interesting article specifically about PC-BSD, with a lot of nice things to say such as this great quotable:

Linux was fast enough on this machine. But in street racing parlance, with PC-BSD I’m burning rubber in all four gears.

If you are on the fence about PC-BSD or just curious about another person’s experience in switching over, you should definitely give this one a read.

Original Article: “The Devil & BSD: Leaving Linux Behind”

Current Article: “Is That Linux? No, It’s PC-BSD”

Written by Ken Moore. Posted in Uncategorized

Tags: , ,

• […] Is That Linux? No, It’s PC-BSD. Β (via) […]

• Jonas
    December 5, 2015 at 10:20 am |

PC-BSD is great, but i can’t use it until i can run it on Intel Haswell graphics πŸ™

• Adnaan
      December 7, 2015 at 6:07 am |

That’s interesting, I thought that the Graphics stack in FreeBSD/PC-BSD 10.2 had been updated to be on par with the Linux 3.8 kernel, which should have partial support for Haswell graphics, my Ivybridge struggled in PC-BSD, under PC-BSD 10, but with 10.1 upwards, I got accelerated graphics

December 5, 2015 at 2:38 pm |

Cool πŸ™‚

• December 7, 2015 at 6:53 pm |

So… As I thought, I did the right choice when I preferred PC-BSD before Linux πŸ™‚

I’m trying to introduce some friends to PC-BSD and away from Windows. But some say that I (?) run the wrong system since I can’t run .exe files. But that’s one of the main points, I won’t get viruses, worms, spyware and so.

When I sometimes receive a Spam-mail with poison attachments I just laugh.
    People sometimes ask me what happens if I encounter a virus? And I just tell them: Nothing! And if I would try to open it, the system just ask what I want to do with it.

So I keep giving you guys credit for a great job. I just have a Christmas wish for two new things available as PBI portings for the next program update.

I would really like BlueGriffon and a functional version of Skype. This are two things I really long for to be available in AppCafe.

• Grok
      January 4, 2016 at 1:25 am |

Hi Robert,

Jitsi works under PC-BSD. It is a more secure video/chat client than Skype.

• January 4, 2016 at 7:53 am |

Yes, someone told me about it. Problem is that if I understand it right, I can only talk to others who use Jitsi since it’s not compatible with Skype.

It’s like when people say that Alexander Graham Bell invented the phone. He must at least have invented two, otherwise he wouldn’t had noone to talk to πŸ˜‰

• bdub
    May 20, 2016 at 5:39 pm |

So why is it you claim PC-BSD is the latest, greatest OS, so much faster than anything else and easy to install, yet I’ve used many linux distributions with no problems and your offering won’t accept the same hardware configuration?